Sunday, March 11, 2007

DST change: more than 2 different results

So, this morning, I went around the house looking for how my various clocks handled the new Daylight Saving Time rules.

My XP and Vista systems handled it just fine. My Pocket PC on my iPAQ did not - still thinks I'm on standard time - but when I synced my calendar with Exchange, it shows appointments 1 hour earlier. So, the appts are at the right time, if I leave the clock on the Pocket PC alone. I'll do that and see what happens when the 1st Sunday in April comes along.

My Casio watch (setting itself by time broadcast) was correct. My Oregon Scientific wall clock, also setting itself by that broadcast, was wrong - but it rarely picks up the broadcast from inside the house. (You'd think with more space for antenna, it would receive better - but no.)

My oven clocks were all wrong, of course - because they're manual. So was my little wall clock.

The fascinating things were my video recorder clocks and my cell phone.

The cell phone didn't change times! You'd think it would be in touch with the base station. I had to turn it off and on again before it would learn the new time.

The 3 video recorders gave THREE different results, even though all three set themselves from PBS time signals.

My new Panasonic was correct when I woke up. I don't know when it made the switch, but it was between 2 and 8 a.m.

My old Panasonic was still showing standard time, so I had to goose it via the setup menu. Once I forced an auto-sync with PBS, it was correct.

My old JVC VCR was still showing standard time, so I goosed it also to sync with PBS. It did - and at 8:44 in the morning, PDT, it showed 9:44. I'm going to leave it alone, showing one hour ahead of current time, until April to see how it behaves. But, I'm puzzled. What kind of programming in the VCR's controller would lead to that result?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home